Easter Egg Ring
This recipe makes 1 ring (about 12 servings)
|Butter or margarine, cut up||1/4 cup|
|Bread Flour||3+1/4 cups|
|Grated orange zest||1/2 tsp|
|Bread Machine Yeast||2 tsp|
|Chopped dried or candied pineapple||1/4 cup|
|Slivered almonds||1/4 cup|
|Whole uncooked eggs||6|
|Icing sugar, sifted||1/2 cup|
|Almond extract||1/2 tsp|
Large Loaf (1-1/2 lb./ 3 cup or 2 lb./ 4 cup machine)
Have liquid ingredients at 80º F and all others at room temperature. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, 1/2 to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
1. In bread machine pan add milk, eggs, butter, salt, flour, sugar and zest to machine according to manufacturer's directions.
2. Select dough/manual cycle. When cycle is complete, remove dough from pan to a lightly floured surface. Knead in pineapple, raisins and almonds, plus enough flour (if necessary) to make dough easy to handle. Let rest 10 minutes.
3. Divide dough in half. Roll each piece into a 26-inch long rope and twist together. Transfer to greased baking sheet. Bring ends together to form a ring, pinching ends to seal. Gently pull twisted ropes apart to tuck 6 whole uncooked eggs into openings, placing eggs evenly around ring. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
4. Bake in 375°F oven for 25 - 30 minutes or until done, covering with foil after 20 minutes to prevent excess browning. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
5. Glaze: In small bowl, combine all ingredients. Drizzle over ring.