Lemon Cream Cranberry Loaf
This recipe makes 1 loaf
3/4 cup (175 mL) milk
1 large egg
1/3 cup (75 mL) butter
3/4 tsp (3 mL) salt
3 cups (750 mL) Bread flour
3 tbsp (50 mL) sugar
2 tsp (10 mL) Bread Machine Yeast
1 cup (250 mL) cream cheese, softened
1 large egg
1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
1/4 cup (60 mL) flour
3 tsp. (15 mL) lemon zest
1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh or frozen whole cranberries
Have liquid ingredients at 80º F and all others at room temperature. Check dough consistency after 5 minutes of kneading. The dough should be in a soft, tacky ball. If it is dry and stiff, add water, 1/2 to 1 tablespoon at a time. If it is too wet and sticky, add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time. See our Bread Machine section for more helpful tips and information.
1. Add ingredients to machine according to manufacturer's directions. Select dough cycle.
2. Once cycle is complete, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; let rest 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, egg, sugar, flour and zest; set aside. Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside.
4. Roll dough into a 15 x 10-inch (37.5 x 25 cm) rectangle, transfer to prepared baking sheet. Spread the cheese filling down the center of the dough in a 3- inch (7.5 cm) wide strip. Sprinkle cranberries evenly over filling. With sharp knife or scissors, slit dough at 1-inch (2.5 cm) intervals along each side of filling. Fold strip diagonally over filling, alternating from side to side. Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until double in size.
5. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire rack.
Note: For a soft crust, brush the top of bread with butter as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Yield: 12 servings