Pumpkin Cranberry Twists
These beautiful twists are perfect alongside a harvest celebration meal.
This recipe makes 16 rolls / twists
|Bread Flour||4+1/2 cups, divided|
|Active Dry Yeast||2+1/4 tsp|
|Pumpkin Puree||3/4 cup|
|Maple syrup||1/4 cup|
|Vegetable Oil||3 TBSP|
|Ground ginger||1/4 tsp|
|Egg||1 large, beaten|
|Dried cranberries||1/2 cup|
|Chopped pecans||1/2 cup|
|Egg||1 large, lightly beaten|
1. In large bowl, combine 1 cup flour and yeast. Whisk in warm water (110-115 °F)until well combined. In small bowl, combine pumpkin, maple syrup, oil, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and egg; stir into flour mixture until smooth.
2. Gradually whisk in about 2 cups more of flour until smooth. Using wooden spoon, gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour to make soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead for 7 - 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if necessary.
3. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
4. Punch down dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead in cranberries and nuts. Divide dough into 16 pieces and roll each piece into a 12-inch rope. Fold each rope in half, twist strands once, pinch ends to seal and place on lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheets 2-inch apart. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching.
5. To glaze, brush egg over twists. Bake in centre of 425°F oven for about 15 minutes or until twists are golden brown. Remove form baking sheet; let cool on racks.
*You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use 1/2 tsp Instant Yeast OR 3/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.