White Bread #2
A perfect sandwich bread.
This recipe is featured at Roxanna's Home Baking.
This recipe makes 4 loaves
|Melted butter or oil||1/3 cup|
|Active Dry Yeast||6+3/4 tsp|
|Bread Flour||8 cups|
1. Grease four 9 x 5 x 2-inch loaf pans; set aside
2. In large bowl, dissolve 1 tsp sugar in warm water. Stir in Yeast; let stand for 10 minutes, or until foamy. Whisk in milk, sugar, egg and butter.
3. Add 3 cups flour and salt; mix until smooth. Add another 4+1/2 cups flour. Stir briskly with wooden spoon until well mixed. If necessary, gradually add remaining 1/2 cup flour to make soft dough. On lightly floured surface, knead dough about 8 - 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Cover; let rest in warm place 10 minutes.
4. Punch dough down. Place on lightly floured surface and flatten with your hands to a square about 1inch thick. Cut into four equal pieces.
5. Take a piece of dough, starting with the end closest to you, tightly roll up jelly-roll style. Pinch seams and ends to seal. Place seam down, in loaf pan and repeat with remaining pieces. Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in size - about 45 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 400°F. Bake loaves 25 - 30 minutes, until lightly browned and bread sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to wire rack to cool.
Note: If you prefer you can mix all the flour in with a wooden spoon, but the result will be an airy texture and a somewhat uneven top crust.
*You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use 1/2 tsp Instant Yeast OR 3/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.