Each slice of this loaf reveals a savory spiral of cheese and herbs.
This recipe is featured at Fake Ginger.
This recipe makes 1 loaf
|Active Dry Yeast||2+1/4 tsp|
|Bread Flour||2+1/2 cups|
|Olive oil||3 TBSP|
|FILLING and TOPPING|
|Dried oregano||1/2 tsp|
|Dried basil||1/2 tsp|
|Garlic, minced||1 clove|
|Mozzarella cheese, cubed||5 oz.|
|Smoked Gruyere cheese, cubed||5 oz.|
|Coarse salt||1 tsp|
|Dried rosemary||1/2 tsp|
1. In large bowl, dissolve 1 tsp sugar in warm water (110°-115°F). Stir in Active Dry Yeast; let stand for 10 minutes, or until foamy. Whisk in 1 cup flour, oil and salt; beat until smooth.
2. Using wooden spoon, gradually stir in enough of remaining flour to make soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead for 7-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding more flour if necessary.
3. Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe.
4. Punch down dough; cover with tea towel; let rest for 10 minutes.
5. On lightly floured surface, roll dough into 16- x 12-inch rectangle. Evenly sprinkle oregano, basil, garlic and cheeses over top, leaving 1-inch border around edges. Starting from long side, roll up into cylinder; pinch along edges and end to seal. Place onto lightly greased or parchment-lined baking sheet, loosely cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until indentation remains after touching.
6. Remove plastic; lightly brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and rosemary.
7. Bake in center of 375°F oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on bottom. Let cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan; let cool on rack.
*You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry Yeast. When using Instant Yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe. Traditional methods: use equal amounts; Bread Machine: use 1/2 tsp Instant Yeast OR 3/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast per cup of flour in your recipe. Visit our Lessons in Yeast & Baking for more information.